Friday, June 29, 2007

Widget windfall

It was almost exactly one month ago when I posted something to this blog about Facebook's decision to open its API to any developer who wanted to build a widget for the site. I said then that Facebook's decision "is going to prompt a shift in the world of online content -- similar to the shifts that came with the rise of content aggregation and search. Once again the way that early adopters find, consume and share content is going to change. More importantly, an entire new class of entrepreneurs will emerge to build content companies on top of Facebook's API."

Now Google has thrown its support behind the widget phenomenon. Google has created a venture fund that will offer financial support to developers who build widgets for Google's Gadget API. (Thanks to Matthew for pointing me to the news.)

So if it wasn't clear before, it should be clear now -- something significant is happening.
And if I haven't been clear before, let me say it again -- B2B journalism isn't ready.

tags: , , , , , , , widgets

2 comments:

  1. And with LinkedIn also throwing in their API, we're seeing more momentum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kevin,
    Good point.
    And I don't know about you, but my LinkedIn account seems to have grown more active since the API announcement. Suddenly I'm hearing from more people who want to link up. Perviously, my LinkedIn account had sort of languished.
    If nothing else, these announcements are generating lots of press coverage of LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.

    ReplyDelete